Sunday, June 1, 2014

Time & Tide Wait for No Man, but Time Always Stands Still for a Woman of Thirty

Ugh.   Seriously.  I've never cared about birthdays or getting older.  I just haven't.  But for some reason, leaving the 20's seems so bizarre.... so.... old.   I'm okay with aging (especially since I am pretty sure I won't look 30 until I hit 50), but the social expectations of 30 are just so.... bland and dull and .... ugh.

Complaining aside.....  I had an absolutely lovely day.  It was seriously idyllic~ sun-shade breezy like a Northern Michigan summer!
The guy found me the prettiest little vintage-looking creamer and nested measuring cups (did you know among my many obsessions is dishware?  Seiously, my cupboards will tell you, its getting out of hand!) .  We had an early lunch, indoor picnic (it was adorable, really), and went hiking.
Finding waterfalls and wild flowers on a Patapsco trail. 
Hiking ruined me.  (See what I did there?   Because there were ruins off the trail.... ruined me.... get it?)

To celebrate joining the ranks of 30-somethings, he rented a pavilion for a picnic.  (People who know me know picnics are my favourite thing... like ever)
My pretty doily dream catchers swaying in the breeze under the pavilion.
The wrapped sandwiches and berry basket plates.  
Personal salads, mason jar cups with paper straws. and rolled down brown paper bags before climbing on the tires in the playground.  
Smiles and bubbles on a perfectly sunny day. 

Yesterday was truly a gorgeous day (she says zipping on her sandals and grabbing the camera, heading out to meet another PERFECT day). 
I think in turning 30, it is forcing me to take a step back, so to speak.   Perhaps instead of looking at the 30 years that have passed, I look at the 10,957 days that have drifted by-- almost 11,000 days to make myself either a better person, a worse person, or a person that can make a difference in someone else's life.  Each day is another chance to move forward and keep breathing and seeing and feeling, or a chance to slip backwards, burying myself in all the things that have faded away. Nothing can ever be done to take those days back- to breathe more deeply, see more clearly, feel more passionately.  Only today can change tomorrow.  

10,957 days of wandering, and sitting while thinking of wandering, and arguing, and laughing, and....well.... and living!  I can't help but wonder if I've done those 10,957 days any justice. Have I earned my clear conscience?  Moving on to the next 10,000 days, I will live to explore and feel and have my own human experience.  I think I owe it to myself.  So, who's coming along? 


*The title is from Robert Frost's writings. 

2 comments:

  1. It was a lovely lovely day. Couldn't beat the weather. You are a marvelous thirty year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a wonderful birthday. Many happy returns of the day. Love those pretty dreamcatchers!

    ReplyDelete